Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I am a spiritual 2 year old

Today I sat reflecting on my parenting experiences and pondering those of our Heavenly Father. At mother group someone mentioned how it is hard for us to understand why 2 year old's will throw tantrums or get upset and cry over silly things. I have often tried to remind myself that for a little child loosing a teddy bear (etc.) really is traumatizing and that I should not trivialize their struggles. Too often when these circumstances arise "get over it" crosses my mind. Later, as I sat there trying to think of my Savior and Heavenly Parents I found my thoughts being pulled into whats for dinner, what groceries to buy, about my legs that ache and pool with blood. My temporal concerns are so completely trivial to Heavenly Father and my own eternal existence and yet I am so greatly affected by them every day. He extends understanding, strength and love at every chance He can. How do I dare withhold understanding and love to my child over her own trivial matters? That is not the only way I am a spiritual 2 year old. Elena cannot give me anything I cannot get my self. She can't even do chores. But, my life sure is a lot easier and I am a lot happier when she listens (and obeys). Honestly, is there anything I can give my Heavenly Father or Savior? No. The only thing that I can do to show appreciation for all they do for me is to be obedient. If ye love me keep my commandments. It is rather silly that as we get older we somehow think we are more productive and have more meaningful concerns and problems then children. I am sure Heavenly Father looks down and chuckles at my temporal nature. Sorry if these thoughts are abrupt. Elena woke up and I cannot keep distracting her from the computer with chocolate chips...

2 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing. These are good thoughts and reminders for me.

We Krazy Knuts said...

I'm glad that you posted this. I feel the same way sometimes about the kids and tantrums and things, but it's good to put in more in perspective. Thanks!